Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Seeing Jamaica, not on a standard tour


I have been to Jamaica a handful of times, but my most memorable were my last two visits. I am not one that likes to travel in a group on a guided tour, where the tour operators offer the same tour multiple times a week, over and over and over. It is always the same thing. Jamaica is such a beautiful island, and I wanted to see more than what a standard tour offers.

My husband and I arrived in Ocho Rios during our cruise on the Norwegian Epic in October of 2010. We decided to do our own thing (contrary to what the cruise lines tell you). We walked out of the port and there were probably 50 taxi drivers or more waiting for business. We said no to many, but one gentleman really “clicked” with us. So, we decided to give him a try. I have to say this was the best tour we had ever been on. Our driver, who goes by the name of Jolly, showed us Jamaica as a true Jamaican. We learned about the culture, the vegetation, the lifestyle. It was just what we were looking for. We would drive around, and every once in a while he would stop, get out of the van to show us something. At one point, he climbed up a tree to pull a leaf down to tell us about the Allspice.


During our tour, I mentioned that I had to go home with Blue Mountain Coffee, and I really wanted Jerk Chicken for lunch. He took me to get my coffee, and also took us to a place for some excellent Jerk Chicken. This restaurant would never have been on the “tourist trail.” It was fantastic.


We stayed in touch with Jolly, and I reserved him again in October of 2011, while we were on the Allure of the Seas. This time he took our family (there were 6 of us) on a tour. He remembered everything we talked about, our kids, the business, my love for Blue Mountain Coffee, and of course, the Jerk Chicken! He is fantastic and I will recommend him to anyone traveling to Jamaica.

If you are looking for an authentic Jamaican experience, give me a call. I will get you in touch with Jolly. This is a personal reference, not business. I do not make money on these referrals, but I do want to share the experience. You can reach me toll free at 888-882-5793, through email at kfreer@cruiseone.com or visit me on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment